I can sum up my two runs over the past few days in one word: Hard! The sun has been a killer (and a weight it seems) slowing me as I continue on my goal to achieve a 1:30 half marathon. It is like running through a rain storm of sweat as I take the turn directly into the blazing sun it seems! Then the shade comes along and it seems like all is well and I am sitting in an air conditioned room. In the end I realize tha II will come out if this stronger (or with heat stoke) but it is tough!
A few other notes to consider on this Monday.
- Overall it was a good week of running last week but knee pain slowed me down on a new route Thursday out to Spaulding rehab. The pain started around the rehab center which perhaps is a signal that I should be getting the knee looked at!
- As mentioned, this week has been hot thus far. Both days featured 90 degrees in the sun. Wonderful weather!
- Chugged a bunch of water this morning and glad I did. I can't emphasize enough that one can never drink too much water in this weather.
- Been pushing more proteins of late over carbo loading. Seeing stronger runs so far as a result.
- Have been going back and forth between Stava and RunKeeper over the past week. Does one like the ques from the app that tell you every 5 minutes where you are and how fast you are going or every half mile and how long you have run and how fast? Haven't quite figured it out yet.
- Also wavering on how effective an HR monitor is. I tend to have the same state more often than not running heart rate wise. Why record it? Need to do some more thinking on it and how best to utilize such data.
That's about it. Have a good week. Don't melt!